Things get into food all the time because the world isn’t perfect all the time.
And just because you don’t see on your plate (or bowl or plastic bag), or because you’ve never heard of a certain store adding extra ingredients into their goods, doesn’t actually mean that they’re not also imperfect.
Ever wondered how many foreign objects you’ve swallowed by now because they were embedded somewhere in your grub, out of sight?
Well, at least that’s not what happened here, because if the customer hadn’t known that there were inedibles in her kids’ breakfast, neither would we.
In today’s episode of “Things that Shouldn’t be in Food that is Found in Food”, it’s wire (or at least something that looks and feels like one) in bread.
Wire in Bakery Bread
A mother, Sarah, happened to be at Tampines on Friday last week (10 May) for a paediatrician appointment and bought a packet of bread from DJ Bakery (Tampines Street 81).
The next morning, she fed it to her two children who are two and five years old respectively.
Of course, that’s when…
“I discovered this black thing in the bread,” she said.
We see what we want to. It’s probably a sign of a healthy, non-paranoid brain that she assumed nothing of the wire initially.
“A first I thought it was blueberry filling but when I took a closer look, I realised it was a stiff black thread or wire.”
Did You Know Eating Wires is Bad?
She does. “I can’t imagine if my kids accidentally ate it.”
“It’s a choking hazard and so unhygienic.”
Rather than a choking hazard, a small, sharp object runs the risk of tearing the oesophagus. If it’s likely to pass through the stomach, it also has the potential of perforating the small intestine. This exposes the abdomen to the bacteria from the intestines, which may cause serious infections.
Now isn’t that a fun fact!
It’s a very good thing that the hazard was spotted in time, because of the mother’s habit of feeding her kids, unlike her husband who would usually “just let them eat by themselves.”
DJ Bakery’s Response
Besides feeding Stomp, Sarah also alerted DJ bakery about the issue and was offered a refund when she returned to the outlet.
Living in Sengkang, she turned down the offer, saying “It’s not about the money, the bread cost $1.60,” and that she just wanted to alert them so they’re aware.
Moral of the story: if you find it weird, investigate.
You won’t want to miss these most-read articles:
- Customer Found Blue Plastic Inside a Sausage Bought from Sheng Siong; Sheng Siong Has Responded
- Latest NUS Peeping Tom Has Committed Similar Offences in The Past
- Australia University Evacuated Due to ‘Gas Leak’; Turns Out It’s Durian (Again)
- Boy Who Allegedly Went Missing for 38 Days Had Actually Left S’pore With His Mother
- Lady Lost Job Offer After Finding Out She’s Pregnant, But Company Did Not Break Any Law
Goody Feed is looking for part-time writers and video editors! Our office is located at Bukit Batok and hours are flexible. Click here for more info about being a writer and here for more info about being a video editor!
Always bored during your commute to and fro work or school? Here’s the best solution: download our app for new articles, Facebook videos and YouTube videos that are updated daily…and most importantly, exclusive contents that are only available in our app! It’s your perfect companion for your daily commute!
The post Woman Found ‘Wire’ in Tampines Bakery; Bakery Offered a Refund Instead appeared first on Goody Feed.